The Yamaha YTR9335CHS is the "Chicago" Series, Xeno Artist Model. This top end, professional heavyweight Bb trumpet features a yellow-brass bell, a medium-large bore (11.65mm) and silver-plated finish.
Xeno (pronounced 'Zeno') trumpets are designed for those who want power and projection as well as a big warm sound. Developed from more than 30 years' research with leading artists throughout the world, Xeno trumpets incorporate their dreams, their experience, and their talents-as realised through the skills and ideas of some of the world's best designers and crafts persons.
Traditional hand-craftsmanship augmented by cutting edge manufacturing technology has created an extraordinary quality of unprecedented consistency.
The Xeno's heavyweight construction produces a solid tone core for a rich strong sound that won't spread or break up no matter how hard it is pushed. It blows freely and comfortably, while still providing enough air resistance for quick response and superb tonal flexibility. And the hand-hammered one-piece bell gives an agile, quick response with a beautiful tone.
The primary consultant for the Yamaha YTR9335CHS was John Hagstrom of the Chicago Symphony. In addition to testing parts and later prototypes with John and his colleagues, some very famous vintage trumpets owned by the CSO were used as benchmarks in the process. Those horns were studied in great detail to understand what made them so special. They had their flaws too, yet they set a fantastic reference standard difficult for any modern trumpet to match.
See the "more links" section above, for more details on this model.
- The bell is one of its most important elements. The wall thickness of the Yamaha YTR9335CHS gradually tapers, thinning as it gets closer to the rim. The flat dome style rim is wider than most modern trumpet bell rims, which helps hold the sound together even at extreme dynamics. The seam of the bell is aligned with the braces to improve tonal projection and the braces are smaller so the bell, valves and leadpipe are closer together, giving a natural vibrancy to the entire trumpet.
- The shape of top and bottom valve caps and the skeletonised interior valve stems contribute greatly to the flexible response of the Yamaha YTR9335CHS.
- The first valve slide features a special brace which gives a stronger focus to the core of the tone for unparalleled definition and clarity.
- The leadpipes on the Yamaha YTR9335CHS are based on Bob Malone's own design (MC1 for C, MB1 for Bb) and on the C its long taper ends in a reversed tuning slide. These leadpipes are largely responsible for the tonal expressivity of the trumpets. Notes slot easily and comfortably in all ranges, with exceptionally accurate intonation.
- The 3rd valve slide stopper has been moved to allow extended slide play for a low F or to facilitate alternative fingerings. The oversized button on the end of the slide has been carefully researched to fine-tune the blowing resistance for better control.
- Bell Diameter: 123mm (4-7/8")
- Bore Size: 11.65mm (0.459 ")
- Yellow brass bell
- Key: Bb
- TR17B4 Mouthpiece
- Hard, deluxe, double case