Woodside Guitar Support
From "This is Classical Guitar & Werner Guitar Edition" Original - https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/review-woodside-guitar-support/
Learn More at Woodside Guitars
Big thanks to Woodside Guitars for sending me the Woodside Guitar Support to test out. It’s a fantastic design with excellent craftsmanship. It feels secure, stable, and comfortable. I loved my old Murata support until I bought a raised fingerboard guitar and it no longer fit. But with more adjustments on the Woodside Guitar Support this style of support is back in the game. I did have one small concern but overall an excellent guitar support. You can also check out my dedicated page for Guitar Support Review
and all my other reviews. Here’s the YouTube
link for this review if you want to watch it there.
The Good Stuff
- Quality craftsmanship and it looks great
- Innovative improvements to a classic design: more adjustability for angles and positioning of the guitar. The unique pivoting system compensates for any guitar body depth variation, and grips at all four points equally so it works on my raised fingerboard guitar.
- Feels secure and solid, completely trustworthy in performance
- Clamps are more reliable than suction cups
- Just the right amount of maneuverability in combination with secure stability, their locking ball and socket mechanism works well
- Quick to put on or take off with the clamping lever. Also available with an adjusting screw model.
- Doesn’t slip on the leg, feels very comfortable
The guitar support right out of the box doesn’t raise up high enough for me. I need a few more centimetres on the height adjustment. It’s probably high enough for plenty of people but I need it higher. They are making a Lift Kit that is essentially an extended bar for higher adjustment so that is good news. Problem solved. I highly recommend that Woodside just include the Lift Kit along with the support as many people will want it. I wouldn’t want my customers to not be able to use the support on first purchase. That said, every customer will want something specific so it’s hard to please everyone all the time. Glad they are selling the extension.
The Woodside Guitar Support is a solid, secure, and comfortable support. I would trust it in performance and happy to see the design working on my raised fingerboard guitar. Not everyone likes clamps on their guitar but I trust them more than suction cups for most designs. I’ve haven’t been able to try the Lift Kit so the height adjustment is an issue for me at the moment. Again, probably fine for most people though. I’ll make an update when I get my hands on the extended bar.
FYI, the non-adhesive protective vinyl material I mention in the video is a non-guitar one called Grafix ClingViynl. I’ve used it on French polish and polyurethane finishes but I’ve been told not to use on lacquer finishes so use at your own risk, ask your luthier or maker. Also, I often us a black cloth/foam on my right leg to keep the guitar from slipping, just a basic Shelf Liner
- Clamping Width Range: 79 – 113 mm
- Height Range (Upper part of leg rest to instrument resting position): 90 – 130 mm
- Angle Range – 13 Degrees (Ball & Socket) in all directions
- Weight: 200 g
- Materials: Anodized aluminum, brass, stainless steel
- Folded Size (for stowage; e.g. in guitar case): 115 x 100 x 57 (high)